From:
Randi Sue Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:09:45 -0700
I usually remove batteries from collection items.  If the batteries
corrode, I don't want them wrecking the rest of the object, especially
when the battery is hidden from view and I don't know it is happening.
Ordinary (like flashlight batteries), already corroding batteries
usually get tossed.  Ones in good shape, especially unusual ones,
could be kept.  They should be inspected regularly, and the decision
to keep reevaluated if corrosion occurs.  I can imagine situations
where I would keep a corroding battery, especially if it were made to
go in only one object.

I think I only have one battery at the moment, stored on open shelving
in a fairly well ventilated and stable environment.  I pass by it
regularly, so I can keep an eye on it.  I have used ordinary white
gloves for handling, but corrosion resistant gloves would be good to
have around. I would guess that ventilation is good. The longer I
write, the more I realize I don't know about the hazards, but would
like to know.

What does the Museum of Car and Truck Batteries do?

Hoping to hear more from the list,

Randi Smith
DC Booth Fish Hatchery