From:
"Erik P. Mansoor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:22:58 -0700
At 18:54 4/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>It's not the amount (although that does help), it's the gesture.  By funding
>arts and culture the Fed. Gov. is acknowledging that they are just as
>important a part of "us" (i.e. the country's ethos) as is national defense
>or caring for the elderly.

>Julia Moore
>Indianapolis Art Center

Well I would agree that national defense falls under the jurisdiction of the
feds. but caring for the elderly? That should be taken care of by the family
first, then the local community and as a last resort the feds.

The fed. gov. is not as important as "We the people..." The government
should be subordinate to the people and is simply a tool of the people. As
such it should only be used when necessary and for the appropriate job. The
country's ethos will manifest itself with or without the government. Some of
the best art shows I have been to have been done at the local level, i.e.
the community, volunteers, local artists.

Erik Mansoor