From:
Susan Ruderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:51:04 -0400
It's a good case study and teaching example.

I would not restrict gift agreements to require consideration for
acquisition into the collection *first*.  Certainly keep the option open
for keeping the object in the collection, but I agree with the
philosophy of not forcing a different procedure just because this
particular episode went really awry.

Here is my question:  Why didn't the silent auction have a reserve?  I'm
generally against auctioning potentially lucrative items via an on-site
auction anyway unless you know that you are getting the creme de la
creme in attendance rather than those who just happened to free on a
Tuesday night!  But a reserve at the minimum level of what you believed
the object was "worth" would have prevented the sad outcome since you
could have pursued other avenues for the object (e.g., online auction or
accessioning it.)

Susan Ruderman
Consultant

--