From:
"Via, Marie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:01:53 -0500
Hi Sarah --

Our museum was the first in the country to use SoLux lamps in exhibition
galleries -- they were developed here in Rochester and we were the "testing
ground" but they're now are finding their way into museums around the world.
Kevin McGuire of Tailored Lighting is the inventor and he will be happy to
share with you the extensive scientific testing that has been conducted with
regard to effects on artworks; you can reach him at <[log in to unmask]>

We first installed these lights in our gallery of French Impressionist art,
and the results were striking.  The lamps more or less replicate outdoor
light so landscapes especially were clearer and more "real" looking.  SoLux
has an especially powerful effect on cool colors -- blue assumes a new
intensity.  (For that reason, we are relamping our temporary exhibition
gallery with SoLux for the Maxfield Parrish show that opens here later this
month.)  For paintings with a warmer palette, you might be happier with
"normal" lighting . . . you just have to experiment with what works.

The lights themselves seem very bright if you stare directly at them, even
though this does not result in a higher foot-candle reading.  You can use
baffles, screens and gels to make this less obtrusive for the viewer.

We put a notebook for visitor comments (specifically about the lighting) in
that Impressionist gallery -- the truly enthusiastic responses give a clue
as to how bowled over gallery-goers have been.

Lighting is a very subjective thing, and there's ongoing discussion here
about where SoLux is most appropriate.  If you're in the Rochester area,
come visit and see for yourself!

Marie Via
Curator of Exhibitions
Memorial Art Gallery