From:
Matt Mayberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:15:00 -0700
I want to thank John Scafidi for his thoughts.  This is exactly the kind
of discussion that I hope will take place in the proposed MPMA session.
I could be wrong about this but it is my feeling that curators in
general like to keep their collections data close to the vest while
registrars tend to be much more open about sharing information.

I wanted to clarify some details regarding our Web database.  It can be
found at http://www.colorado-springs.com/fmp/cspm/.  The database is a
copy that is served from a remote server.  If a hacker were to damage
it, it is merely a copy that can be reinstalled.

We have left out certain sensitive information such as donor addresses,
anonymous donors, insurance values and physical locations, but
everything else is there.  Did we leave out enough?  Should we have
included any of this?

We chose to include donor names since many of our requests are people
asking what their ancestors gave to the museum.  We are a public museum
and it is public information.  We would credit them on an exhibition
label, but is it wise for a Web database?  Is it a virtual exhibit?

Our database contains some 39,000 records and about 400 digital images
of art and artifacts.  We hope to add to the digital images as time
permits.  It is hoped that this will reduce wear and tear on the
collection, since many researchers will be able to obtain the
information they need from the record and the thumbnail image.  Is this
a reasonable expectation?  Only time will tell on this one.

I think that this is a timely topic that will benefit from informed
discussion.

David Ryan
Registrar
Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum