From:
"Alison L. Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:06:33 -0400
Liz,

I believe that you can never have too many identifiying numbers associated with objects!  My thought is to assign the objects as you described with new accession numbers related to the year of accession (if this collection is accepted this year, then 2012.01., etc.), but somewhere in your collections management/database software, you may have a field for Old Number (or the like), and be able to retain the original tracking number.  There are many instances where old inventories/catalog records are discovered that have obviously not been updated, but information can be learned if the old numbers are captured in the database records.

Sincerely,
Alison Wright
(a 13-year collections person temporarily between museums!)