From:
Barry Szczesny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:53:44 -0500
The American Law Institute - American Bar Association Committee on
Continuing Professional Education's 25th annual Course of Study on Legal
Problems of Museum Administration, cosponsored by the Smithsonian Institution
with the cooperation of the AAM, will hold three sessions on intellectual
property issues Saturday, March 22, 1997.

1.  9:00 a.m.  Intellectual Property:  Copyright, Trademark, and Beyond:
Role and Authority of the Copyright Office and the United States Patent
and Trademark Office

-Bruce A. Lehman, Assistant Secretary of Commerce and Commissioner of
Patents and Trademarks, Washington, D.C.

-Marybeth Peters, Register of Copyrights, Copyright Office, Library of
Congress, Washington, D.C.

2.  9:45 a.m.  Intellectual Property:  Recent Developments in Fair Use

-Stephen E. Weil, Emeritus Senior Scholar, Center for Museum Studies,
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.

-Beverly M. Wolff, General Counsel and Secretary, The Museum of Modern
Art, New York

3.  11:15 a.m.  Trademark of Museum Names and Buildings and the New
Trademark Dilution Act

-Lauryn Guttenplan Grant, Assistant General Counsel, Smithsonian
Institution, Washington, D.C.

-Stephen E. Weil (see above)

The "course" will be held Thursday-Saturday, March 20-22, 1997, at the
Smithsonian Institution.  Tuition for the course is $575.

According to the program:  "Legal Problems of Museum Administration is
intended to provide museum directors, administrators, trustees, legal
counsel and others who are concerned with museum operations, with an
awareness of the legal problems and issues they will encounter."

For more information, ALI-ABA's web site is www.ali-aba.org.  I haven't
visited, but the entire program should be available.  If not call (215)
243-1630 or (800) CLE-NEWS (253-6397).

Barry G. Szczesny
AAM Government Affairs
(202) 289-9125