From:
Melanie Zucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2014 09:37:01 -0500
As with Danielle, I can only speak to my seasonal experience, which spans three museums over the last five years.

Pay typically ranges in the $9-10/hour (at least here on the east coast), but if you are looking for help in developing your thematic tour, you may want to consider hiring someone with more experience who will probably be looking for a salaried position.

I will second ALHFAM as a phenomenal resource, both in terms of helpfulness and cumulative experience (should you proceed with the hiring process, they also post both part-time and full-time jobs on their website). Their first person interpreters interest group also lists a few resources for more information http://www.alhfam.org/?cat_id=123&nav_tree=119,123. They just had their bi-annual retreat in February, so there won't be another one until 2016.

There is also the National Association for Interpretation (http://www.interpnet.com/) which offers a certificate in interpretation. Some schools also offer certificates, minors and majors in Museum Studies whose courses often cover interpretation. If there are any schools in your area that offer these programs, you may want to contact the professors both for their knowledge, and to find out if they have any students looking for work.

My personal experience has been that the best way to get training is by doing, though, and that one person can help train others who are interested.

-Melanie

Melanie Zucker  | Program Assistant, Conservation Assessment Program

Heritage Preservation  |  t 202-233-0800 x237  |  f 202-233-0807

1012 14th Street NW  |  Suite 1200  |  Washington, DC  20005

www.heritagepreservation.org  |  [log in to unmask]