Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:09:59 -0600
Dear Annmarie,
I know folks on this discussion list are advising you to begin by bringing in
the lawyers, but in my opinion lawyers are needed in a case like this only as
a last resort. Before I became a historian and museum curator I was an
Occupational Therapist for nearly 30 years and had worked in a large variety
of health care settings. Let me advise on what I would do based on my many
years working with many disabled people. First you need to educate your board
of directors or whoever is your governing body by informing them on seizure
disorders and yours in particular. Right now they are alarmed and fearful.
They may be saying they don't want you to have a seizure in front of visitors,
but what they really are saying they don't want you to to hurt yourself (or
others or anything else) at the museum. Their fear for the visitors is really
their own fear of this disease (seizures are scary for those who have never
witnessed one)and their uncomfortableness with you for maybe not being totally
up front with them for the possibility of having a seizure. Fix that first by
reassurring them as to what happens during a seizure, why you have them (e.g.
forgot medication, stress, lights, or disorder unable to be controlled etc.)
and then tell them if there is any special modifications that will be needed
to be made. They must be reassured and informed exactly what your disease is
all about! The fact that you do not routinely have seizures should reassure
them. Don't assume that they will give you legal problems with your job until
they do so. You defineatly will have to do some educating however (its great
that you are already an educator) After this process then be firm about your
return. If they dither around about a definite date of return or do not not
want to commit to a date, have them put their concerns in writing as to why
they are denying you employment. After fully informing them of your disorder
they may not discriminate against a disabled person. I have no qualms about
calling you disabled because that is what you are. Many of us do have
disabilities. My disabilities are poor vision (I have to wear glasses),
hearing and tintinnitus in one ear (no adaptation needed for now) and some
arthritus that limits my lifting anything over 55 pounds. Sounds pretty
universal, doesn't it? Yes many of us who do just fine at work despite
disabilities, and I am including people with seizure disorders, by fully
utilizing special appliances, adaptations, and routines to keep our
disabilities just that, and not handicaps! Those two terms are not
interchangeable. You need to inform, teach, reassure, then be firm about your
talents and why the museum needs you just as you are! Good Luck and please
keep us informed. Your situation has ramifications for all of us!
Valerie Davis
Oconomowoc and Lake Country Museum

This mail sent through Global Webmail(tm): http://webmail.gdinet.com
For additional information contact [log in to unmask] or go to http://www.gdinet.com.