From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:28:36 +0800
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free webzine compendium,
read weekly by 7,400 readers in more than 176 countries.

***   "As far as I am concerned it is the best source for museum
professionals in search of employment "  ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the NEWS button) in this
week's edition include:

**  Museum directors look like old masters
Sometimes a visit to the museum can induce a fit of Stendhal syndrome - the
French author famously swooned on confronting the art treasures of Florence

**  Theft at museum in high-security zone
The Museum is located in a high-security zone - just a stone's throw from
the Legislative Assembly and the Police Control Room - but had only six
security guards on night duty

**  Michelangelo's David set for move
David has been in the Academia for 135 years, since it was moved from the
Piazza della Signoria, where it originally stood as a symbol of Florentine
independence

**  Scientists Discover Huge Extinct Rodent
Uruguayan scientists say they have uncovered fossil evidence of the biggest
species of rodent ever found, one that scurried across wooded areas of South
America about 4 million years ago, when the continent was not connected to
North America

**  German Scholar Says Mona Lisa Really Was a Lisa, del Giocondo
Notes from October 1503 in the margin of a book in the library's collection,
discovered by manuscript expert Armin Schlechter, confirm the identity of
the painting's subject

**  A museum of back-slapping will belittle our island story
A museum of back-slapping will belittle our island story: The absurd plan
for a Soviet-style celebration of Britain's historic glories and empire is
no way to forge a sense of heritage

****  GREAT FARES & DEALS FOR 2008! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations.   CLICK HERE
http://www.museum-traveller.com
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.
_____________________________________

**  In 1492, Columbus ...
New genetic evidence supports the theory that Christopher Columbus brought
syphilis to Europe from the New World reviving a centuries-old debate about
the origins of the disease

**  Underwater city could be revealed
Its decline began in 1286 when a sea surge hit the East Anglian coast and it
was eventually reduced through coastal erosion to the village it is today

**  Steps back in time face future woe
They are the world's oldest human tracks, a set of footprints pressed into
volcanic ash that have lain perfectly preserved for more than 3.5 million
years

**  Museum acquires Turner painting
The watercolour was commissioned by Sir Walter Scott's publisher to be the
cover of a selection of the writer's poems in the early 19th Century

**  Museum Attendance Drops in Sweden
Visits to Sweden's national museums dropped nearly 20 percent last year
after they ended their free admissions policy

**  Scientists Create World's Largest Novelty Atom
Several admitted that they haven't laughed like this since Hurley and
Fredericks rearranged the lab's periodic-table poster in such an amusing
fashion that the lanthanides and actinides were replaced with isotopes of
alkali metals

Join The New Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share
Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group. Be one of the first
founding members.
Join Today At http://globalmuseum.ning.com/

**  Maritime Museum tall-ship battles
Joining the crew of either ship is a great way to see the San Diego skyline
from the water, to experience centuries of tradition in action, and to
practice sticking your fingers in your ears - a lot

**  Buried treasure
Australia's first amber discoveries are proving an unexpected cornucopia of
perfectly preserved insects and plant matter - and pockets of ancient air,
water and perhaps even DNA

**  Bad taste jokes need time to be funny
The results emerged from an interactive humour survey at the Science
Museum's Dana centre in central London

**  Dance fever at museum
A recent decision by the museum's board of directors to offer actor John
Travolta induction into a new wing, which honours dance and film, is causing
a stir at the 22-year-old facility on South Broadway

**  Baghdad museum unveils two restored display halls
The Islamic and Assyrian halls have been completely restored but will not be
opened to the public until security measures can be put in place to prevent
a repeat of the looting in which around 15,000 items were stolen

**  Norway's Supreme Court increases sentences 2 men in theft of Munch
paintings
In its unanimous 12-page ruling, Norway's highest court said sentences for
two of the men, Petter Tharaldsen and Stian Skjold, were too low considering
the "irreplaceable national cultural value" of the paintings

**  Behind the scenes at my museum
In view of my youth, I was taken on, in 1970, as a junior research fellow -
which meant, I think, that if I did not work out, I could be politely
escorted out of the cathedral

**  Journeys of Expression VII
Celebrating the Edges of the World: Tourism and Festivals of the Coast and
Sea

**  Amazon.com Widgets Tag You're It: A dialog between social tagging and
traditional classification

**  Three Spectacular Vases Lent by Italy to Metropolitan Museum for Four
Years Replace Euphronios Krater
As a result of the agreement negotiated the Republic of Italy is lending the
Metropolitan Museum three outstanding ancient Greek vases for a period of
four years

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, Social Networking, Museum
Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products &
Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml