From:
Joe Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 05:44:59 -0800
I can't help but respond to Kersti Krug's thoughtful analysis of Bob Janes'
new book.  My response stems not from reading the book, but from having
heard an oral (and persuasive) presentation last year as a part of a two day
seminar on "museum futures."  Following this I had the opportunity of having
several more hours informal conversation with him, although partly on other
matters.

Another reason for my response stems from having recently been one of those
"who have left," but almost at the same time "chose to leave."  The personal
is always a factor, for as was brought out by Kersti, fear and humiliation
can all too often be a symptom of the general disease.

In any case, although I can't quarrel with the basic points that Kersti
discusses, I see them in from a somewhat different perspective.  I offer
these comments as complementary, not contradictory.

Assuming that change is inevitable and desireable, the issue is how it is
managed from a human perspective.  My perception of Bob Janes is that he
takes it seriously and analytically, but approach and equations which do try
to include some of the human factors.  Remembering that a manager is seldom
given much choice over what must be done, a serious attempt to deal with
whatever situation presents itself certainly does not earn the medal of a
hero, but it does reflect professionalism.

In my own case, I lived the storyline without it even being analyzed, at
least in the terms outlined by Bob Janes.

And the general disease?  That is a different discussion, but I doubt that
it is possible to cut 25% of an organization without some degree of painful
emotion.  We hire managers to manage transitions.  Having more of a role in
defining those transitions is something museums have not yet achieved.

Joe Nagel (KUSTOS Inc.)
2961 Semiahmoo Trail
Surrey, B.C.  V4P 1H4
604-531-6879, 604-594-2628 (FAX)