From:
"Wesley S. Creel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:56:52 +0000
Good Afternoon Stacey,
I have been involved in many museum construction and renovation projects and what I have learned is that every type of flooring has its pros and cons..... depending on the function of the area (reception, assembly, hallways, theater, retail, exhibitions, office, labs, classrooms, etc...etc....) and cost/benefit/maintenance issues.
That being said, have you looked into cork flooring for high public access areas?  A recent capital project made use of it in certain public, high traffic (non-exhibit) areas...and 10 years later it is still looking good.....
Wesley
p.s.  RE -- carpets: Some years ago, during one of the many  receptions relating to the opening of a very large new museum -- a caterer, dropped a large bowl of crab dip on the carpet in the lobby.  It made a mess.  The stain remained for years, until the carpet was replaced -- earlier than scheduled.  That is what detectives would call a "Clue."  Carpets do indeed deaden sound, but they have to be replaced sooner than you would think.
RE -- stained concrete:  On the other hand.....another capital project had a facility's exhibit area's floors made of stained concrete.  It looked great, but as soon as the exhibit galleries were full of school kids, the exhibit gallery sounded like a grade school cafeteria at lunchtime with no faculty present (if you know what I mean).....!!!  After a couple of months, we had the gallery carpeted with industrial-strength carpeting.
Best Wishes,
Wesley
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111
www.memphismuseums.org
Office 901.636.2370  new telephone number
FAX 901.636.2391  new FAX number

Please consider including the Pink Palace Family of Museums in your charitable giving plans
along with your other charitable interests.
Please visit all our great facilities as well as our website: www.memphismuseums.org Our mission: The Pink Palace Family of Museums inspires people to learn how history.science, technology and nature shape the mid-South. Through rich collections, thought-provoking exhibitions, and engaging programs, we encourage our diverse community to reflect on the past, understand the present, and influence the future