From:
Kennedy Hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:52:50 -0400
There have been several postings of late from job applicants expressing
their frustration with the job market and the interview process.  With the
job market as it is at this time, there are a number of factors that
prospective applicants need to keep in mind.  Many of these have been
previously stated by those posting to this list, but to sum them up:

1) Basic/Minimum Requirements:  When an prospective applicant reads through
these for an opening, make sure that you not only meet them, but exceed
them.  With the market as tight as it is, when an opening lists that a "BA"
is required, the job will usually be filled by someone with a "MA" or
better.  Be aware of this, and if you just graduated with a "BA", understand
that most museum jobs will require graduate training.  The only way to avoid
this is if you have prior experience as a paid museum employee.  If you do
not meet the basic requirements, you should not apply, as it will be a waste
of time and money on the part of all concerned.

2)  Informational Visit:  Don't be afraid to make an informational visit to
the institution.  While distance might not make this possible, it does help.
If the person reviewing your application has a face and experience to attach
to your name it may add to your chances of getting an interview.  Likewise,
it will allow you "flush" out your application and give a bit more
information about yourself than is contained in your resume.  Getting to
meet a potential interviewer beforehand also is a potential advantage, as
you will be able to get a handle on their personality and interests.  It was
very helpful to be able to walk into my last interview and say "Good morning
XXXX, good to see you again."

3) Preparing for the Interview:  Should you get an interview, be prepared.
Learn all you can about the museum, its history, current exhibits, and
focus.  Show that you've done your research and are knowledgeable about
their institution.  Answer their questions, don't talk around them or try to
bluff your way through.  It's obvious when an applicant is doing so.
Lastly, the ultimate cliché: Be yourself, show what you can bring to the
position, and why you're the right choice.

4) Following Up:  At the end of you interview, inquire as whether or not any
timetable has been set for filling the position.  If they say that they hope
to have a decision in two weeks, then *wait* the specified time.  If it
passes and you have not heard, call to inquire.  Do this no more than once a
week until you have an answer.  Do not contact the museum so frequently that
it becomes harassing.  If they don't give you a timetable, then wait at
least ten days before making contact.  As annoying as it is, you just need
to wait and bide you time.  For my last job offer, I was told two weeks and
it ended up being closer to five.

5) Who You Know: As aggravating as it can be, the museum world is a
relatively tight-knit community, and who you know can play a role in landing
a position.  If you have contacts that could help you, use them as your
references, and mention them as necessary.  As a previous posting stated,
walking into an interview and saying, "Suzy Somebody told me that I should
contact you..." can mean a lot, and I agree.  I have to admit my contacts
have assisted me in the past when looking for jobs.  If you feel that you
lack contacts, a good way to build a network is by attending conferences.
These need not be large ones, such as AAM or AASLH, smaller regional
meetings such as MAAM and SMA (here in the Mid-Atlantic) work nicely as
well--while also providing a slightly more informal, inviting atmosphere for
first-time conference attendees.

I realize that frustration with the job market and hiring process is a
frequent issue on this list, but keeping the above in mind has worked for
me.  I've been out of grad school (MA '00, U of Del. History/Museum Studies)
two years and have landed two positions as the curator at small to
medium-sized museums. Good luck to everyone who is scrounging through job
listings.

Ken Hickman
Curator/Historian
USS Constellation Museum