From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 09:55:55 -0800
To Gary and others in this position--

You might want to check out an article on mergers of charitable
organizations in the January 25 (I think that date's correct) edition of
The Chronicle of Philanthropy.  The article is pretty good, and it has a
short bibliography at the end.  Also, you might want to check out the
program for this year's AAM meetings.  Kit Matthew--previously Exec.
Director of the New Mexico Museum of Nat'l History--has organized a panel
(of which I am member) that will talk about the "Advisability of Alliances"
which will discuss the topic of mergers and other affiliation arrangements
between non-profits.  Should be an interesting session as an increasing
number of non-profits look to consolidating with other organizations to
save $ and acheive their missions more effectively.

>Can anyone pass along examples---successful or unsuccessful---of mergers
>between museums?I am
>director of a history museum, $800,000 budget, being asked to consider merging
>with a historical
>society of approximately similar size.  I would like to be able to talk to
>others who have been
>through a similar experience.  Are there already successful models out there?
>Thanks for your
>help!
>
>Gary N. Smith
>Executive Director
>Dallas County Heritage Society
>Dallas, Texas

Richard Chute ([log in to unmask])          Dir. of Corp. & Fndtn. Rel.

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden         1500 North College Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
Phone:  (909) 625-8767, ext. 222        FAX:  (909) 626-7670