From:
Marie DiBartolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:09:20 -0400
To all:

I just looked at the still photo of the sculpture.  My instincts are that
artistically it is a beautiful work, reminiscent of Rodin.  But, I agree
with those of you who say that NY is not ready for this.  I live in NY
myself.  I think I understand what the artist is trying to communicate.  I
really do believe that he is trying to commemorate, not provoke or
instigate.  After all, Rockefeller Center is a major landmark in NYC, I
doubt that the owners of the building would allow something inside that they
felt was provocative or inappropriate. I'm sure that it was not intended to
offend.  Maybe it was just poor decision making on theirs and the artist's
part.

Honestly, I don't feel like I can blame anyone for the sculpture.  After
all, it is not them who created the reality of this horrible tragedy.  We're
all reacting in our own way, we're all trying to remember in our own way.
Maybe the artist is bringing to light a reality that no one really wants to
acknowledge nor really wants to remember, which is the fact that what was
going on up in the towers was so horrible that people wanted to jump.  Don't
forget that the 9/11 movie was broadcast, the one filmed by the two
Frenchmen, and you could hear the jumpers hitting the roof of the lobby.  I
think that if this work were called, "woman collapsed after the news of her
husband" or "mother fallen after news of her child's death" people would
react differently.

However, even though I understand, I don't think that New Yorkers will ever
want to remember that reality.  That reality might have to be reserved for
generations that did not experience it directly. But, I honestly believe
that the artist and those involved in the creation of the sculpture were
genuine in their attempt to honor those who were afflicted.  I know that
most New Yorkers would not even think of exploiting this tragedy for
monetary gains.  Maybe that's because I need to have faith in the integrity
of humanity.  But, I know how much this horrible tragedy united NY and I
don't think that anyone would do anything to trivialize that.

Like I said before, I chalk it up to be poor planning on everyone's part.  I
think the artist wanted to make a statement that the population of NY was
not ready to come to terms with.

Marie DiBartolo