From:
Mariana Mace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:46:02 -0800
We also begin ALL tours, not just school tours with an explanation of
our mission to exhibit and preserve our collections.  Since many of
our exhibits, like our large animals, are within reach of the
determined stroker because of space constraints it's important for
them to look with their eyes, not their hands.  We provide a touch
table for them to handle objects, particularly furs, to their hearts
content.  We are planning to put "do touch" examples of materials
close to exhibits that seem to attract the most attention.

We also installed a panel directly over the sign in book which has
a photo of a seal, an example of an object made of seal skin and a
piece of truly ratty seal skin.  The sign on this panel says"Why we
ask you not to touch -- our animals cannot grow new hair"  We've
heard humorous comments from visitors followed by reminders to each
other as they go through the museum.  Our efforst work with all
except the most obtuse or persistent, and those we gently remind as
we notice them.

Mariana