From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 22:14:39 -0500
> Clearly the discussion list  needs to be splintered.

I disagree.  I have been on museum-l for nearly two years now and the
volume of mail rises and wanes - almost seasonally.  I learn a great deal
from other museum professionals and also find many of the conversations to
be boring.  Nevertheless, the only way this list is going to splinter is
when other list owners declare separate lists devoted to separate topics.
When was the last time anyone saw anything on NAGPRA on this list?  Well,
although there have been occasional NAPRA discussions here, there is also
NAGPRA-L, I'm not on it so I don't know how active it is....  There are
other lists for other disciplines within the field of museology (among them
MCN-L, as well as lists for conservators, systematics collectrion managers,
museum educators, etc.).  Curators tend to join discipline specific lists,
etc., etc.

If you don't like it now it will undoubtedly change in the future.  After
all, this is a fluid medium.

Suzanne

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568