From:
Lauraine Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:52:18 -0600
I have a survey map of our community dating from approximately 1934. The
surveys were made over a number of years, starting in 1912, and the map
was compiled by the Surveryor General's Office in Ottawa. The map dates
from between 1934 when the information was compiled and 1952 when the
person who owned it left Fort Smith and took it with him.

The map consists of 25 rectangles of paper, attached to what appears to
be a stiff linen or buckram backing, such that when you fold the map
into its leather case (roughly 19 x 13 cm), the creases are in the cloth
and not the paper. I am reasonably certain the cloth backing is not a
later modification because the case is embossed "Plan of Fort Smith
Settlement" and the map is attached to the case.

Has anyone run across a map like this? Any suggestions as to what this
cloth might be? It is white, fairly loose weave, and reminds me of white
medical tape without the adhesive.

Thank you in advance.
--
Lauraine Armstrong
Curator of Collections

Northern Life Museum   tel: 867-872-2859
PO Box 420    fax: 867-872-5808
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life - there'd
be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson