From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:00:00 -0400
Melissa,

I have been away for a few days and may not have caught all of the info
about this thread.  Did you say how large the painting are, or how large a
space you have to store them in?  Are they framed?  Oil on canvass, or
watercolor on paper, or others?  The general problem with wood products is
not just the formaldehyde from the glues, but the off-gassing of the wood
itself, be it plywood, composite or solid wood.  This goes on very
long-term.

For such a small number of paintings, the simplest solution may be a metal
shelving unit with metal shelves.  This is a low-tech, low-budget solution.
Of course, if money and time are no object, you can go for a much fancier
alternative.  If you buy new, get powder coated paint.  If you buy used, be
sure that the shelving is old (10 years or more) and has not been repainted
by the vendor or anyone else.  Once it is this old, even baked enamel will
not produce objectionable levels of off-gassing.  Generally, you will want
shelving that is 2 feet deep.  The width will depend upon the composite
depth of the paintings + frames, but I would imagine that 3 feet would be
adequate.  Line the bottom of the shelf (it should be 1 foot or more above
the floor) with 1/8" Ethafoam sheets.  If the frames are plain, 1/4" (2
layers) thickness is adequate.  If they have composite ornamentation that
sticks down, you need 1" (8 layers) or more to adequately pad the
decoration.  Store the paintings vertically, bottom edges running front to
back, faces of the paintings parallel to the sides of the shelving unit.
Pad between the paintings, and the paintings and the end of the shelving
unit, with foamcore, or sheets of acid-free cardboard, assuming that they
are framed.  If they are not, more specific advice is required.  Make
certain that the sheets are larger than the largest painting.  Group them
roughly by size, so that they support one another.  For such a small number
of items, you do not necessarily need intermediate supports, but the group
of paintings will support one another.  Most likely, you will have other
shelves on the unit that can be used to store other items.  This system will
not work for huge paintings, but probably will work for those up to about 5
feet in width.  One of the advantages of this type of system over slotted
systems is that the paintings are free to exchange with air around them, and
micro-environments inside each slot are not created.  Remember, oil
paintings on canvas are a composite of somewhat incompatible materials
(fabric, wooden stretcher, wooden frame, paint) that have the potential to
deteriorate themselves if kept in a confined environment.

Again, this is a low-tech solution put forth without detailed information
about the specific paintings.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)