From:
rfuhrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:25:28 -0500
True cannon balls would not be live if they are 'solid shot'-literally
solid balls of iron.  If there is a plug or any other type of indicator
that the 'ball' is actually a hollow sphere then it may well have powder
inside.  I would suggest that you try and enlist the aid of a curator
who specializes in weapons and ordinance.  Nothing beats an on-site
inspection.

As for the WWI & WWII souvenirs, it depends on how you want to look at
your local people's experiences in the wars.  That someone took the
trouble to bring these items back says something about their war
experience.  Their true value in this regard, however, is, to my mind,
best determined by the stories that should have been recorded when the
artifacts were accept for the collection.  (I know, I know, we all have
scads of artifacts that have no detailed history with them.)  Naturally,
we all research any artifact we consider for deaccessioning so hopefully
you might be able to tell if that old musty gas mask is just a souvenir
or if in fact it's a trophy that old Uncle Billie brought back from
France after he took it from a German he personally subdued.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob Fuhrman
CEO
Clark County Historical Society