From:
Laura Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 14:47:40 -0400
At the AAM Annual Conference last year in Baltimore "Museum Theft and the
Federal Response: FBI Case Studies" was an EXCELLENT seminar on artifacts
stolen from museum collections. I would refer anyone interested in this
subject to the FBI, particularly Robert Wittman, Special Agent in
Philadelphia. The FBI maintains a list of stolen objects and encourages
museums to avail themselves of this service. Many stolen objects from
museums (of both large and small monetary value) have been recovered through
this program.

Furthermore, in response to the question, "What would you do if a board
member lost (or stole) an item from the collection?" In the particular case
of a board member who "cannot remember where he/she put it", I would propose
that as board members hold the fiduciary responsibility for the museum and
its collections, that that person should take responsibility for that lost
item. To this I mean, that the board member should either give the value of
the item to collections and/or replace the missing item to the best of their
ability. After all, the item does hold a monetary value and if that person
moved the item (either on or off-site) from where the curator and or
collections committee had placed it, that board member should take
responsibility for its loss or damage. This is what I propose and would
leave the fine-tuning to you.

My best,
Ware Petznick
Seeking Curatorial/Education position