From:
Dean Krimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:04:03 -0400
Hello All,
Here's yet another label height concept (courtesy of Heather Guy of
Quatrefoil Associates of Maryland): use 53 inches as a centerpoint for large
text panels and graphics and go 15 inches up and down to create a zone of
readability (my words, not hers). Heather & co. use the term "jelly zone" to
describe the 30-inch area between 38 and 68 inches off the floor. (I don't
recall what the name means.)  Not that you wouldn't place some things above
and below, e.g., quotations in vinyl lettering, murals, but sticking to the
jelly zone means making reading and looking as comfortable as possible.

When I began hanging prints and photo shows years ago, my boss used 63
inches as a center point. I have no idea where that came from, but it seemed
to work okay. I wonder if it was from "Good Show!" or from some other
publication that included a diagram of a figure in front of a wall with a
field of vision projected from its head onto a wall.

I supppose the moral of the story is that a healthy skepticisim of our own
professional assumptions and conventions never hurts.

Dean

Dean Krimmel, Creative Museum Services
Planning for Museums, Historic Sites, Visitor Centers and Cultural
Organizations
423 Range Road  Baltimore, Maryland 21204
[log in to unmask]; 410-746-8350

Affiliated with Qm2: Quality Management to a Higher Power (www.qm2.org)
Visit www.ziggs.com (keyword qm2) to learn more about what we do