From:
GP Stemm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:22:56 -0400
Boylan P wrote:

> There has never been any question of works of art bought by museums being
> "in the public domain" - copyright has always remained unless this was
> bought as a separate right along with the painting etc., something that
> very few artists would agree to.

Has anyone had experience with selling "reproduction rights" to artifacts
without selling the artifact itself? (Especially in the case of an
ancient artifact, where the artist or creator is no longer known). This
could conceivably work in one of two ways:

1. A museum sells a work of art or an artifact, but retains the exclusive
right to replicate it.

2. An individual sells or donates a work of art or an artifact to a
museum but retains the right to replicate amd sell replicas.

And, as a corollary to this issue, is anyone familar with "title
restrictions" that can accompany the sale of an artifact.(For instance:
The artifact may only be sold to another museum, or may only be sold
without rights of reproduction)?

The concept of "deed restriction" is very common in real estate. I just
don't know if it can carry over to other chattel property.

Thanks,

Greg Stemm