From:
Jim K <jkajpus*[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:46:36 PDT
You're going to hear some sour grapes here, but...
One of the things to do with volunteers is to treat them with a little
respect. (did you guess I'm a volunteer yet?) I spent many, many
months trying to volunteer with a local history museum in Saginaw MI.
After months of being basically ignored, they finally got back to me.
I ended up doing some of the dirtiest, nastiest, and worst of all,
stupidest tasks I've ever had the displeasure of being subject to. And
this after 22 years in the USAF. I gave them my 90 days I signed up
for and quit.

I switched to the local art museum and started working the first day I
talked to them. Since I started, I've photographed and measured their
art collection, helped design an inventory database, cataloged their
library, and have done some graphics design work. I've been treated
very well (even cake on birthdays) and have had a lot of fun.

Which museum do you think I'll aim volunteers towards??

Dennis Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am secretary for the Steamtown Volunteer Association at Steamtown
>National Historic Site, Scranton, PA. We are a living history museum
>complex for the steam era with a train excursion, working roundhouse,
>maintenance and locomotive shops, as well as two museums and  theater.
>We have been recently been challenged by our Superintendent to expand
>our volunteer pool especially for interpretive volunteers.
>
>I suspect that we are not the only museum complex in this situation. Do
>any of you have any successful strategies that we can try? What are the
>best target groups for recruitment? What approaches have you found best
>to try?
>
>Dennis Martin
>http://www.cs.uofs.edu/~steamtwn

I got one them stupid * in my name
Jim Kajpust - Personal Freedoms - Michigan
http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust