From:
Alexandra Carrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:53:50 -0700
staying in Old Town can be quite expensive.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:00:00 -0400 Sarah Andrews
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Sharron,

I strongly suggest checking the calendar section of
<http://www.dcheritage.org> http://www.dcheritage.org There are links to
almost all of the sites that have been recommended and I think they still
have an itinerary building feature and neighborhood maps.

Old Town Alexandria is an excellent choice for suburban hotels and King
Street is a great shopping and restaurant district that is easily walkable.
The Torpedo Factory Art Center (  <http://www.torpedofactory.org>
http://www.torpedofactory.org) is well worth the visit.  For a great taste
of Americana, although probably not that far off from Australiana (I made
that word up), try the Hard Times Cafe for chili only a couple of blocks
from the Metro.

If you stay in Dupont Circle, check out our site, Woodrow Wilson House (
<http://www.woodrowwilsonhouse.org> http://www.woodrowwilsonhouse.org) next
door to the Textile Museum (  <http://www.textilemuseum.org>
http://www.textilemuseum.org) and only three blocks from the Phillips (
<http://www.phillipscollection.org> http://www.phillipscollection.org).
Phillips is usually open late on Thursday nights for Artful Evenings with
gallery talks and many times live music.  Its a great way to squeeze another
museum into your day.  Remember that nearly all museums outside of the
Smithsonian charge admission.  The second weekend of October would be a good
cost saver as many of us will be participating in the DC neighborhood
openhouse.

Sarah Andrews
Woodrow Wilson House
2340 S Street, NW