From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 20:40:43 -0500
To: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Museum Salaries
From: [log in to unmask](Robert A. Baron)
Cc: [log in to unmask]

On Jan 17, 1996 13:47:26, 'Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>"The
>Economically Rational Man (Person)."

It is just like economists to think that the perfect metaphor for humanity
is the spreadsheet and the maximilization of value.  Indeed, the word
"rational" here is intended to force the analogy between the economic man
and the man who makes the "best" decisions.  To make a long story short, it
is obvious, and most obvious in this forum of museum-l, that people have
other criteria than their economic well being at stake.  How
self-contradictory is our culture; we teach that life, to be of value, must
must be led in compliance with various ethical and social models, yet we
provide economic well being as a paradigm that frequently contradicts our
closely held principles.  Perhaps societies thrive by living in a morass of
such contradictions.  I'm sure Henry Grunder knows this, for it is clear
that deep down he knows how ludicrous is the Rational Economic Man model.
--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant