Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 16:08:10 -0500
With February's upcoming shuttle launch to service the Hubble Space
Telescope, we would like to announce our new on-line educational resource
that features stunning images from Hubble.

(And if you are not a classroom educator, we hope you will share this
resource with those who are.  Join in the excitement as Hubble pushes the
frontiers of astronomy and science education!)

AMAZING SPACE: EDUCATION ON-LINE from the HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE

At the heart of Amazing Space are interactive lesson plans created by the
Space Telescope Science Institute in collaboration with a team of
experienced elementary, middle and high school teachers.  Working with
Institute scientists, graphic artists, animators and on-line experts, the
teachers created lesson plans and educational resources that are available
NOW on the World Wide Web.

In these interactive lessons, students may tour the planets of our solar
system, visit the oldest galaxies ever observed, or prepare for a mission
aboard the Space Shuttle to service the Hubble Space Telescope.

Just in time for the February servicing mission, you and your students can
take THE STUDENT ASTRONAUT CHALLENGE.  Astronauts return to the Hubble
Space Telescope in 1997 and 1999 to replace instruments and components.
This time, your students can participate in the experience.  Their
challenge is to figure out in which order the astronauts perform their
tasks.  It's not as easy as you might think!

Take your pick - Amazing Space has something for nearly all grade levels:

Solar System Trading Cards  (Grades 3-6)
Hubble Deep Field Academy (Grades 6-8)
Student Astronaut Challenge (Grades 6-8)
Stars: From Birth to Death (Grades 9-12)  ** coming soon **

Although created for interactive use, even classrooms without Internet
access may avail themselves to the wonders of Amazing Space.  Soon all
lessons will have the option of a modified version for off-line use, using
the downloadable worksheets included in each lesson's teacher resource
pages.

Go on-line today!  Visit Amazing Space at:

http://www.stsci.edu/pubinfo/amazing-space.html

For more information, contact:

STScI Office of Public Outreach
3700 San Martin Drive