From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 08:50:46 CDT
As an archivist with some expertise in manuscripts and rare books, I am often
asked for my opinion on someone's old book or manuscript.  The number of old
"Declaration of Independence" or Lincoln's Gettysburg(those old-looking cheesy
souvenir reproductions sold at tourist spots) that people have brought to me
just boggles the mind.  My favorite was the framed Lincoln Gettysburg where
the person said that person "X" at a local "old book shop" (this is not a shop
where the owners have any training, they just sell used books) assured him that
it was INDEED Lincoln's handwriting!

Anyway, for goodwill of the institution, I have always been willing to answer
questions for people.  The problem does arise now and then as to whether I am
speaking as an "official opinion of the institution" and that is where it gets
sticky.  I'm sure my institution (and museums) would not be happy to have
lawsuits where a collector claimed the "Smithsonian" promised me it was worth
$XXXX.   I have often told people that my advice does not constitute a formal
appraisal, but is my opinion....and I often direct them to other sources for
further information such as price guides, Bookman's Price Index, and so on.

I have had collectors make claims that such-and-such museum or such-and-such
historical society said this was genuine etc.  That may be the explanation why
some museum curators may decline to give advice.  On the other side of the
coin, I'm also sure that some curators also earn stipends as paid consultants.
Certainly it is not in my job description to give free advice and appraisals
on manuscripts/books, etc., and one could argue that such work is not a
priority of one's institution.

--Dean DeBolt, University of West Florida, Special Collections