From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:46:02 -0500
It sounds like no one actually talked to a good lawyer who knew gun laws and
non-profit law before making decisions. It sounds quite strange that a
historical society would be termed as a "private" museum. Most historical
societies are a 501-type organization and therefore would be a "public"
organization. Strictly speaking a state museum is not a "public" entity but
a "governmental" entity. I guess, the lesson here is that a knowledgeable
attorney is critical in acquisition and de-accessioning decisions.
nburlakoff