From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:52:01 -0400
We are the very fortunate owners of a copy of a marble bust of Renaldo della
Luna by Mino da Fiesole that I think resides in the Bargello in Florence,
which was attacked by some well meaning individual with gold paint to lend a
little glitz to his staid self.
Anyway, I have found many references to the bust which is apparently quite
well known.  What I have been unable to determine is who he was, and why
anyone would reproduce him!
I am fairly certain he is being deaccessioned.  He doesn't fit our scope
unless it turns out he was a friend of Martin Luther's or Caspar
Schwenckfeld's.  If anyone would like him for their collection -- he comes
with complete with his embellishment -- feel free to contact me.  At this
point he'd fit in better with the velvet Elvii and stuffed frog set, rather
than a lovely Victorian house, where he most likely would belong if he were
sans gilded spatters in his hair.
If anyone knows the true identity of Renaldo would you please come forward?
Thanks so much!
Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center