From:
thomas w kavanagh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:10:57 -0500
The William Hammond Mathers Museum at Indiana University has one of the
largest collections of ethnomusicological instruments in the US (including
the Herzog/Van Hornbostel, Laura Boulton, Alan Merriam, and George List
collections, a total of approximately 2000 instyruments). We have an
active program of using the collections.  We did a comprehensive
playability survey several years ago to establish parameters for the
active use of particular instruments. This semester I have as a practicum
student, a professional luthier returning to finish is college degree. He
will be examining some of the Sarinda-esque chordophones from Afghanistan/
India/Iran in preparation for an exhibit to coincide with the Soc. for
Ethnomusicology meetings here next year.

The Folklore Department is a regular visitor, both in the introductory
courses, as well as upper level organology courses. Most recently, our
didjeridoos have been recorded for a digital analysis in their sound lab.

We have also had visitors from the Fine Arts-Sculpture program looking at
the  instruments for inspiration.

In addition, the Laura Boulton Foundation provides funds for researchers
(most recently Dr. Simeon Asiama of the African Studies Dept, University
of Ghana).

We will be digitizing photographs of the instruments for the Web, and
where possible adding sound files.

http://www.indian.edu/~mathers/home.html

Thomas Kavanagh
Curator of Collections