From:
Aaron De Groft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:08:30 EDT
Dear Jeffery Allison,

The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, the State Art Museum of Florida,
has an excellent touch tour for the visually impaired.  It has undergone a
number of adjustments and reworkings but the Education team has received
awards for programming.  In fact, one of the persons to help you, Susan
(Hazelroth) Michael Barrett, won the national art educator of the year award
and worked at the museum as head of education for many years, yet, has
recently left the museum and can be reached by email a [log in to unmask], I
believe.

A person in-house who may be of assistance is the gallery programs person,
Susannah Michalson, and may be reached at [log in to unmask], (941)-359-5680
office number, (941)-359-5700 main number.

The third person who is very applicable for assistance is Dr. Paula Gerson,
Chairman of the Art History department, Florida State University.  She
authored the first of a multi-volume work on the history of art for the
visually impaired.  This volume is dedicated to Baroque art and utilizes
textured reproductions of not only Ringling pictures, but many others.  Her
work guided the Ringling's programs. The main office number at FSU is
(850)-644-1250.  I do not know her email though I am sure it may be obtained
somewhere on one of the selections of the university web sight.  You may also
want to contact Dr. Kahren Arbitman, director of the Cummer Museum of Art and
Gardens in Jacksonville, Florida.  They have a very advanced education wing
that is nationally recognized and may be of some service to you.

I hope this helps. Please give Katharine Lee my regards.

Aaron De Groft