From:
"David J. Dewey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 07:47:58 -0700
Sue,
        Well, I haven't dealt with the rolls in a display environment, but
having a player piano, and was a 'professional rebuilder', I think I can
answer some of your questions.
        Info: Song title (of course!), Writer, Artist (be aware that some
roll recorders used many aliases), Company, Instrumental or 'sing-a-long
or movie accompaniment (some rolls were done for theater work), Standard
88, or other type (reproducer, pin end, etc.), Vintage. I hope I've
covered most of the major differences!
        Storage: Humidity control for paper goods, of course!
        Use: Depends on the roll, some of the papers used are still very
flexible and durable, however, many new rolls have been cut from old ones,
and as they are readily replaceable, I would use new ones for
demonstration purposes. Roll edges tend to get damaged over time, and most
players use the edge as a tracking guide (actually damage to edges often
is caused by poorly performing tracking devices!). A functioning player
instrument is a great interpretive device, I would encourage you to use it
as such!  If this is not possible, perhaps a recording of one could be
used (but you do loose at least the visual stimulus of seeing the roll
playing the instrument).
        Hope this has been of some help!
Sincerely,
David Dewey