From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:56:42 -0800
Jennifer, everything I've been taught about job
searching (took a couple courses a few years ago
knowing I would eventually be transitioning out of the
for-profit I worked for more than 20 years), is that
you SHOULD not make a generic cover page.

Ever get some direct mail addressed to you that says,
"Dear Jennifer" and then goes on to give the same-old
same-old, yada yada they've sent to everybody else?  I
don't know about you, but, to me, it's really a turn
off.

You may wish to have several different types of cover
letters.  They could be boilerplate for the specific
type of job, but they should be customized for the
institution at which you're seeking employment.

As to indicating what type of position you're seeking,
I see no shame in stating that your interests are
eclectic and you are flexible as to the nature of the
position you will seek as your entry to that esteemed
institution.

One of the things about titles is they're awfully
generic in nature, but frequently subject to
interpretation and may just be a be-all and catch-all
for something entirely different.  If you indicate you
are interested in X, Y, and Z areas and have the
training, acumen to be able to work in them, to me,
that would signify a better candidate than one whose
interests are entirely parochial.

In today's economy, employees are having to do more
with less.  It's speculative, I realize, but an
employee who can bring multiple skills and abilities
to the table is a much better hire than one who is
only trained and willing to do one thing.

Then again, what do I know?  (wink)

--- Jennifer Smalheiser
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 My question is, how do I go about creating a
> cover letter looking
> for a job in a variety of positions?  While a
> development position would
> be ideal, I would be willing to work in a number of
> other departments.  I
> do not know how to go about creating a cover letter
> asking for any open
> positiong.  I appreciate any help anyone can give
> me.  You an reply
> directly to me or on list.
>
> Thanks
> Jennifer