From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 10:14:28 -0600
Thanks, Deb!

Related, this is an electronic forum/list: a public meeting place for open
discussion.  In regards to the posting, 'interpretation' is directly related
to the subject of museums.  True, the posting had offensive, erroneous and
negative descriptions used by the resource (checking with the source the
phrase is no longer listed).  As mentioned, it was not sent to be
discriminatory towards anyone, but as a resource for future discussion and
to bring out the terms to the list.   I suspected many of the phrases used
by the site were invented recently by reenactment groups mentioned.

Yes, Deb~~as you said -- let's let it be.  I am
breathing.......contemplating.....sending out good vibes. And yes,
smiling.......

Except, interpretation is a subject that has not been discussed for a while,
and the reason for the posting.

Question/opinions:   If re-enactors use such terms that are offensive today
(which were common in a specific time or period) and we say they are wrong,
unpluralistic and do not use them in our living history programs--are we
presenting history accurately?  Should we take such words out or note in the
program or documentation at the site/museum, mentioning that the historic
text or script was presented only as a means to maintain authenticity and
realism to the time period and culture?

John