Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:14:17 EST
   I love libertarians, always willing to engage in a civilized
   discussion.  Once again, Sara, isn't there some other transgression of
   the government that is more worthy of your indignation than a minor
   outlay of public funds to help people with disabilities?  I could make
   you a list if you'd like.

   Maybe the govt is bending over a little farther backwards to help
   people with disabilities than an absolute cost benefit analysis would
   suggest.  But, as the dad of a little girl with CP (violins here), I
   appreciate it, and I suspect that she will have a richer life because
   of things like ADA and IDEA (which is a similarly contentious, and
   probably much more expensive, piece of legislation to assure equal
   access to education for kids with disabilities.)

   So, all nastiness aside, in good old-fashioned cheek turning for the
   season, I hope that your opinion is proportionately forceful for
   other, much less justifiable, expenditures of government money.

   Also, a basic libertarian fallacy is that, if someone believes that
   public money should be spent for a cause, then s/he personally should
   pay a premium for the cause.  Not in America, never was, never will
   be, and not in a democracy, likewise.

   Eric Siegel