Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:50:47 GMT
Roger Bridgman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear colleagues,

>The Science Museum will be opening an IMAX 3D theatre in 2000 as part of a
>new wing. We know that several other museums have IMAX theatres and would be
>interested in hearing their experiences. In particular we would like to ask:

I was at MOSI, Tampa (museum of science & industry) when we opened an
expansion including an imax dome theater.

>1. How long has your museum been operating an IMAX theatre?
The MOSI expansion opened on July 1, 1995

>2. Do you sell tickets to IMAX programmes on admission to the museum or in
>the IMAX theatre foyer or both?

Individual tickets are available for the theater or exhibits areas
only, but the combo ticket, which is at a slightly reduced rate, is
the most popular.

>3. Have you encountered any special problems associated with group admissions?

Yes, with moving 350 school children at once. It's worked out best for
MOSI to plan the group seating in advance, and enter them prior to the
general public. Also, firmly cover the "rules" with them.

>4. What events do you hold for school or other groups?

None special for groups.

>5. Do you include an orientation film in each IMAX programme?
There is an intro speech given by staff proior to each show.

>Any other information or experiences would be welcomed.
Be prepared for a breakdown: a script for staff and preprinted
rainchecks plus have the box office ready for refunds.

I'd be happy to answer other questions.

Aharon Yoki
Director of Visitor Services and Operations Manager
Children's Museum of Tampa
Tampa, FL