From:
Lois Brynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:03:10 -0500
Hi Jennifer,

We developed a GREAT "free-bee" exhibit at the New England Science Center.
There was a plexi tube about 3" in diameter that went out through a hole in
the wall to a take off/landing platform. The inside hive was about 5'x7'
and c. 8 inches deepthe frame was wood all the sides were plexi.  We had a
small red dot painted on the queen so the kids could find her easily.

I am no longer there and I do not have the drawings of the design anymore
(you need to take into account, light, ventilation, NO escape, outdoor
feeding sources in winter) We built small speakers inside and it was very
cool to hear the buzzing.   If you email or call the Ecotarium in Worcester
MA.. ask for the zoo curator. They will be able to help.

Our exhibit builder wasw a master cabinet maker. However, if one of my zoo
staff had not been a bee keeper I cannot imagine how we would have
succeeded.  Maintenance is only a real problem if you do not know what you
are doing!  Problems DO arise along the way. It was up and running for at
least 3 years while I was there. It was part of a Communication exhibit.

Good luck , call if I can answer any questions

Lois
Lois Brynes, Principal
    DeepTime Associates
    P.O. Box 58