From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 16:16:43 GMT
Cris Wolf has asked:.. What is the general consensus as to the
>criteria for calling yourself a "small" museum, a "medium" museum, or a
>"large" museum?

Well, you may wish to know that IMS has defined "small" museum as one
that has an annual budget of less than $250,000!  In South Dakota, MOST
of the museums have a budget of under $250,000.  My guess is that most
museums define themselves.

Although we have a budget of over $500,000 a year, a full-time staff of 5,
part-time staff of 2 plus a bunch of volunteers, I always think of us as
a small museum because we have only 25,000 objects in our collection.
Perhaps it is MY thinking that is warped!!

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
South Dakota State Historical Society
Pierre