From:
"John M. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 1994 17:31:43 -0500
Pat Miller, Executive Director of the Illinois Heritage Association, and I
will be co-hosting a "roundtable" about the Internet at the Midwest
Museums Conference this coming weekend in Chicago.  The goal of the
roundtable is to inform people about the Internet, suggest ways in which
they might obtain access, and what they will find waiting for them when
they do.  A secondary goal is to collect e-mail addresses from those
present who are already on the Internet for the MMC's office rolodex.

The roundtable will be held in the area just outside the vendor's exhibit
hall from 11:45 to 2:30 p.m. on Friday.  Please stop by, say "hello",
fill out one of the e-mail address forms (optional) and join in the
discussion.

We will have available a number of handouts which deal with how to find a
service provider, discussion groups of possible interest (MUSEUM-L,
ARTIFACT, etc.), and interesting/helpful sites to visit such as the
museums part of the WWW Virtual Library, the Internet Nonprofit Center's
gopher, etc.  We may also have a videotape about the Internet available
for viewing if an electrical outlet is close.

This would also be an appropriate place to say "thank you" to all of you
on MUSEUM-L who have unwittingly provided material for the handouts.
Although you will not be cited individually, your discussions about
new lists being formed, instructions for how to access the National
Archaeology Database, various sites on the WWW, and much more were
invaluable in preparing for the roundtable.  (There will be no mention of
ghoulish museums or whiteout however. :-> )

Pat and I look forward to meeting many of you in person at the MMC.

Cheers,
Jmh
John M. Harris                      [log in to unmask]
Local History Services              (317) 232-4591   (work)
Indiana Historical Society          (317) 233-3109   (FAX)
    *All opinions expressed are my own and not my employer's.*