From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:06:59 +0100
Dick:

Yes, but not HTML or .rtf!

Most (all?) e-mail lists were set up on the basis of plain text postings
(.txt or perhaps .asc if you have a very old system).  This has at least
three advantages: (1) everybody, regardless of their system, sould be able
to open and read plain text, but very many can't cope with binary or web
(HTML) files, (2) almost all current viruses and worms hide themselves in
binary files (such as Word documents) and are much more of a problem for
even the best security and virus-scanning systems, (3) everything appears
on screen in your own default typeface and other settings, without any
formatting and - not least  - (4) because they are not cluttered up with
lots of formatting information, text files are always much smaller in
terms of disk space and hence speed of trasmission.

Let's have only plain text files - with no attachments of any kind.  (It
takes only a few seconds to convert to text: in Windows, just click on
the File menu - typically at the top left hand corner of the screen,
scroll down to "Save As" and select "Text" from the list of file types).

Patrick Boylan