From:
Laura Quackenbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:17:53 +0700
Dear Friends,

The Leelanau Museum is moving forward (finally!) on creating a new
collections storage space.  One option is to rehab a portion of a ten year
old facility  which would be adequate for five years, but not for 10 to 20
years.  In order to plan that far out, I believe  compact storage would need
to be installed at some point, to maximize space use.

I am suggesting that if we use this facility, that we at least prepare the
space for future by designing the compact storage now and by installing the
tracks in while the space is open and you can make a mess.   Does this seem
feasible?

Does anyone out there in museum world have a ball park figure for the cost
of compact storage per foot?  I can only imagine what it might be (i.e. very
expensive) and need to prepare my board...

This space is in the good dry basement of a building (9' clearance) with a
lot of wiring, pipes, etc. above. (It has a ramp entrance from the outside.)
I worry about the inability to keep that overhead clean, water pipes
leaking, etc.  I think that we would not install dry wall (or another
ceiling material--certainly not a drop ceiling).   It would seem much better
to keep an eye on all that "stuff,"  make some provision for a fail safe
under the water lines, etc., and have easy access to a problem rather than
wall it off.  The collections would then all be in boxes, cabinets etc., of
course.

Another issue.  The building is being donated to the local conservancy (a
nonprofit too) who is seeking a partner to share the facility.  They cannot
afford the operation of it alone and don't need the entire space.. .
We would be in effect subleasing the space from them in exchange for paying
for our own rehab and sharing cost of operation.  Does anyone  know of a
similar situation?

Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

laura

- - -

Laura J. Quackenbush, Curator
Leelanau Historical Museum
203 East Cedar St €  POB 246 € Leland, MI 49654
[log in to unmask] €  231/256-7475  €  FX 231/256-7650

- - -

"A ship is safest in a safe harbor, but that is not what the ship is for."
                                                                Wm. Shedd
- - -