From:
Allison Ruppert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:20:55 -0400
I strongly recommend that you visit a cemetery while there. If you want to
by-pass a touristy cemetery tour, go to Lafayette Cemetery in the Garden
District. You can walk through the Garden District to view the mansions and
go shopping at the great boutiques and antique shops and then head over
there. You won't get the history if you go on your own, but some of the
tours are pretty hokey. DO NOT go at night or by yourself. They are not
safe. Ann Rice's house is close by (on First) and I have run into her each
time I have gone for the past five years.
     The Pharmacy Museum is interesting and contains a courtyard with an
herb garden that illustrates the traditional uses of plants for medicinal
purposes. It does not take a very long time to go through it, so it's a nice
filler attraction.
     Go to Preservation Hall for fabulous music and a very intimate setting.
A small amount of people can fit in there and they close it once the show
starts. They have performances at night every hour I think.
     As said by others before, the food is incredible. Good places to go to
for lunch that are inexpensive, frequented by locals and lowkey are Old Dog
New Trick and Louisianna Pizza Kitchen. Both are beyond the French Market
and far away from the flurry of Bourbon Street. If you want an odd breakfast
experience (and more locals exposure), go to Poppy's Grill. It's greasy
diner food and a drag queen might wait on you.
    The American-Italian museum is a great place to go if you have a lot of
time. There is a research library which includes the records of the large
local Italian immigrant community and the museum exhibits customs and
artifacts about the Italians and their contributions to the culture of NOLA.
    If you are in a goofy, non-academic mood, go across the river to Mardi
Gras world (the ferry is free and leaves from behind the Riverwalk Mall)or
go to the Wax Museum.
    I could go on forever, so you can contact me off-list if you need more
information. I am sure that you realize this, but it will be oppressively
hot and humid and you will need a lot of mosquito repellant. Have a safe
trip and enjoy yourself. It is a great city!
~Allison Ruppert

Allison M. Ruppert
Membership Development Associate
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4200
Telephone: (412) 454-6321
Facsimile: (412) 454-6031