From:
Wendy Claire Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:27:12 -0400
Greetings:

You may need to have custom housings fabricated for these objects and then
place the housed objects on oversized shelving units.  Fabricate the
housings using materials that are appropriate for long-term proximity with
the media of the objects in the collection.  Other considerations are object
weight, center of gravity and the support needs of individual components;
environmental requirements of the artistic media in the environment of your
storage facility, including pest control; and how to handle the housed
object when moving it in and out of the storage area.  Furthermore, I would
recommend designing the packaging system for each object so that it can be
easily removed without harming the housing (or the object, of course), so
that the housing can be retained and reused when the object returns to
storage after exhibition.

I know that there are numerous skilled packers/mount makers out there, so I
recommend talking with several companies about how they would approach your
objects.

As part of a major packing and relocation project for a collection with a
wide range of objects with "special needs"(flaky surfaces; unstable
projections; environmental sensitivity, odd weights and centers of gravity,
etc.), I have been fortunate to be able to match up the skills of
packers/mount makers with the specific needs of the objects.

I have had great success in working closely with Rick Yamada of ELY Inc. to
develop handling, storage and packing mounts for especially challenging
objects. Here's Rick's contact information: 7701 Penn Belt Drive,
Forestville, MD 20747: TEL: 301-669.9100; www.elyinc.com.

Good luck.

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator