From:
Lynne Teather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 1994 18:50:27 -0400
Both the University of Leicester and Manchester University offer
doctoral studies in Museum Studies, ie. the degree is a Doctorate in
Museum Studies.  Full-time residence is not required for a part-time
degree which can be managed from distant locations with trips to the
home campus provided you can muster the part-time foreign fees.

I won the first  Ph.D. in Museum Studies from the University of
Leicester back in 1984; this was a degree formed at Leicester in 1976.
Several have succeeded since, many Canadians interestingly.
Doctorates also exist in Russia, Poland, India. But England has cornered
the market in the English-speaking world at least
for now. It is my opinion that in ten years there will be a doctoral
program in Museum Studies someewhere in North America. Any bets!

To my knowledge, there is no Ph.D. in Museum Studies, per se, in any
North American university. Of course, it is possible as it has been
for decades to take a Ph.D. in a discipline and slant courses or the
thesis to museological investigation and hhope for a knowledgeable Supervisor.

In my opinion, and I have direct experience as a tenured academic,
there are pros and cons to both routes which I would be willing to
discuss with anyone who e-mails me directly. My heart, obviously, lies
with the degree named Museum Studies, for I am a museologist. However,
the strong proviso is that quality academic guidance must be provided to the
student.

Prof. Lynne Teather,
Museum Studies Program,
University of Toronto,