From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 11:00:12 -0400
Do you mean the letters that can be rubbed off the back of an acetate
sheet onto a piece of paper by companies such as Letraset and Chartpak?
In my former life as a graphic artist in the pre-personal computer age I
had to use reams of that stuff and I got very proficient at it--fast,
excellent spacing, level lines.  Know what?  I hate transfer letters!
Once I had access to a computer with a laser printer I never used them
again.  If meticulous manual tasks and an eye for letter
spacing are not your metier, you'll hate them even more than I do.

For inexpensive, great looking temporary labels that will save you money
in terms of time and actual purchases over transfer letters, run off your
labels with a good laser printer, spray-mount them to foam core or matt
board, and trim to size using a t-square and a heavy duty x-acto knife. A
clear plastic ruler with a grid imprinted on it is also very helpful.  Buy
yourself a self-healing cutting matt for a reusable cutting surface and
you're in business.  The spray-mount, mounting board and tools can all
be purchased at the same place as transfer letters--an art supply or
graphic art supply store.  They can give you tips on how to use them.

--Helen Glazer
Goucher College, Baltimore, MD, USA