From:
Margaret Lyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 16:30:01 -0400
Are you living in the Boston area?  I ask because my museum in Philadelphia
deals with medicine and medical history -your background sounds intriguing.

While it is good that you know what type of museum you want to work in, you
might need to be more open minded about your subject area in order to get
the starting experience you need.  Science, Children's, Art, History,
Natural History, Zoos..., all need people who know how to work and think
graphically -its the best way to get all those concepts out of the curator's
head and into a form the general public can appreciate.  Even more precious
are people who can work/think with graphics, AND communicate with the more
literal minded members of an exhibit team, while planning out timelines,
managing personnel, and keeping all the administrative work that comes with
any exhibit under control.  As for your background in the sciences -the
beauty of science is that it pops up in all aspects of the human experience
-you will use that background no matter where you work.

If graphic design experience is what they are looking for -get it.  It
probably doesn't even need to be in the museum world, though doing some
pro-bono work for a museum would speed up the process and help you stand
out.  As recent discussions have said, your future employer will be looking
for proof that you have the skills to do the job, but will hire you because
you fit in with the team and are flexible enough to deal with the
ever-changing winds of non-profit work.

As for your specific questions, keep in mind that I am not an exhibit
designer -I have enough experience in the area to really appreciate the
talents of those who are, and to let them do what they do best.

Question 1) I can't definitively answer, but you might already have the
background you need.  It will always depend on the employer's preconceptions
of what the position entails.

Question 2) When I was looking at programs back in the early 1990's, I saw
none that focused on exhibit designs, but all had at least one course that
focused on exhibits,  and they usually required students to plan, design and
install at least a mock-exhibit.  My MA is from the Museum Studies Program
at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and several of my classmates focused
their studies around exhibits and their design.  You might want to take just
the design course at a program near you, rather than going for another
masters degree.  The course would help you learn the "lingo" of the museum
community, and once again it shows your interest in the field.  If you do go
for a full degree, be sure to take courses that cover all aspects (well, as
many as possible) of the museum world.  Fund Raising, Collections Management
and Museum Administration might bore you to tears, but a few credit hours of
tedium translates into a deeper understanding of the people and issues you
will be working with.

Question 3) I can't answer.

Question 4) This is always tricky, and I suspect that which way it goes
often depends on pure dumb luck.  If you take a position to break into the
field, make sure your employer knows what position you ultimately want to
occupy further down the line.  If you are blessed with an open and nurturing
work environment, you can ask for and receive opportunities to build skills
and knowledge to further your career -especially if you are doing an
excellent job in your current position.  If you are not so blessed
(blessings are very fragile things,) you might have to move on to a
different museum in order to advance -just like any other job.

Question 5) I don't know about salaries in this area, but for entry
positions in the museum world -expect it to be low.  This is yet another
reason to put off another full degree -if you really want it after you are
more established in the field, their are ways to get it while you are
working.  But if you are willing to stick with it, and are willing to move
around until you do find the position you love, the money can improve.  (I
started at $18,000/year in 1993, and was at $30,000 late in 1998.  I also
started in a small town in New Mexico -where the cost of living was much
lower, and there was almost no local competition for the position.  I also
have only one student loan -a comparatively small one-, and I need only
support myself.  All of these are huge considerations when it comes to
defining what a "living wage" means to you.)

Finally, you sound like you have thought this through, and know what you
want -so I'm not really worried.  But if you have any thoughts about
pursuing a career path that varies widely from the museum world, follow that
trail first.  If you were meant to be with us, you will eventually find your
way back -with a lot of worthwhile experience to share.  If it wasn't meant
to be, you will avoid years of toil and heartbreak.  There are lots of
careers out there that need your skills, and many will provide all the
fulfillment and satisfaction you would need.  Just keep an open mind.

Margaret Lyman, Collections Manager
Mutter Museum of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia
19 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-3097
215-563-3737 ext. 244
215-561-6477 (fax)