From:
"Craig M. Rosa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 11:10:29 -0800
Hiya:

This is a common problem, so I'll post  2 possible fixes to the list:

>I've checked the Netscape handbook, changed Netscape's Disk Cache size to
>4Megs but still get the same message "Netscape has run out of memory.
>Please increase my memory partition..."

This is not a bug, and very easy to correct.

# 1. Storage and Memory are two different things. The disk cache is
Netscape's scratch pad; it is a place on your hard disk where Netscape can
store files temporarily. "Out of Memory" messages happen when the
application itself (the Netscape Program) doesn't have enough elbow room
(RAM) to work properly.

*Close Netscape.
*Go to your Netscape Icon and single click (hilight, don't launch).
*Go to the finder bar "Edit Menu" and select "Get Info"
*You will get a little window telling you about the program. At the bottom,
you will see 3 boxes: Suggested Size, Minimum Size, and Preferred Size.
*Change the Minimum Size number to match the number you see in Suggested Size.
* Add 1024K (a megabyte) to that number for the Preferred Size.

This should increase the RAM Netscape uses, and prevent out of memory
errors when downloading.

#2. Also check your "Memory" Control Panel. Is the "Modern Memory Manager"
or "32-bit addressing" (depending on your Mac) on? It should be. This can
cause memory problems if it is off. Especially if you're running a 68K mac.

Also, your disk cache should be a _minimum_ of 5 Meg, preferrably 10 if you
have the hard drive space. Lower than that can cause problems too. Don't
worry: this is not RAM,  just storage.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to take them offline.

***     Craig M. Rosa
***     Exhibit Developer, The Tech Museum of Innovation
***     email> [log in to unmask]   vox> (408) 279-7133
***     WWW> http://www.thetech.org/    fax> (408) 279-7197