From:
Mary Vanbalgooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:02:22 -0400
Hi John,

Matt said you called.  First of all, congratulations!  Boy, what choices.
They're all about the same, so I'd go with the fellowship money.  GWU has
gotten incredibly expensive but you may want to base your choices on the
types of classes, faculty, and experiences you're seeking and many people
have replied with some good advice.  "Museum" is such a broad term and each
program could emphasize a different area (e.g., natural history, art,
administration, education, collections, exhibits, etc.).  In my career, I've
worked in all types of museums (historic house, historical society,
archives, botanic garden, historic preservation office, federal government)
and in different areas (collections, education, public affairs, exhibits,
preservation).  It just depends on what you want to do.  There are so many
opportunities.  I, personally, like to work in historic house museums
because it gives me the opportunity to work in more than one area.  I
started working in museums with just my BA in history.  I picked up a lot of
theory and hands-on experience so that when I went back to grad school, I
decided to get my master's in history.  I'm not sorry that I did because I
learned so much about research and interpretation which is my interest.

Good luck and if you want to talk some more, you're welcome to call me at
202-479-2347.

Mary A. van Balgooy
Collections Manager
Supreme Court of the United States