From:
Bernard Barryte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:34:10 -0700
It seems to me that I've heard of a museum of advertising art but I don't
recall its location.  Also, the Wolfsonian in Florida deals with propaganda
and this might fall into that capacious category.
Bernard Barryte,
Standford University Museum of Art

Some folk will know that we are heavily into printed transport publicity
>ephemera (like 50,000 items heavily).
>
>One of its fascinations is that here is a key resource which most:
>librarians disdain for lack of ISBN;
>curators disdain because the material is not "hard" enough;
>archivists disdain because they are not solo MSS.
>
>Of course there are honourable exceptions to this, but it is a
>generality that we would be willing to back up, not least by the
>professional interest (or lack of it) shown in our own collection. The
>only interest we get in concrete terms comes from enthusiast magazines
>willing to commission articles.
>
>Classically, because the institutions have ignored it, it ends up being
>left to private individuals (like ourselves) and of course
>public/private competition means private collectors should not be
>helped. Fiona as a professional librarian and Robert as a curator know
>the UK score on this.
>
>So who can answer the question about what became of the British
>Transport Commission's own seminal reference collection? Assembled by
>Christian Barman and known to exist in the late 1950s (see The Monotype
>Recorder Spring 1958), so far our searches have failed to confirm its
>survival.
>
>For further information surf our website http://www.forsythe.demon.co.uk
>. Any institution or potential patron interested in following up the
>synopsis there, is welcome to chat, tho' in those immortal words 'No
>Timewasters Please!'.
>--
>fiona and robert forsythe

Bernard Barryte